Study & Exchange

The United States supports international education and welcomes foreign students and exchange visitors. Students and exchange visitors must be accepted by their schools or program sponsors before applying for visas.

Fulbright Scholars or Participants in Other U.S. Government-sponsored Programs

Fulbright Scholars or other U.S. Government sponsored Exchange Visitor (J) Visa applicants and their dependants are not required to pay the visa application processing fees if participants in a Department of State, a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), or a U.S. Government funded educational and cultural exchange program that has a program serial number beginning with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 printed on form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J) Status.

Helpful links:
Exchange Visitor Program (J) Visa
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Exchange Programs

It is the responsibility of each traveler to determine whether or not a visa fee is required.

If a traveler needs to apply for a visa that requires paying a visa fee, the traveler should use this service to make an appointment to apply for a visa. Select the option “I have completed the U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa application (DS-160) form and I need to apply for a visa.” from the NIV stop page.

If the traveler is eligible to travel without paying the MRV fee, the traveler should contact the Consular Section where s/he wishes to apply directly at: | U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa