A small number of Emergency appointments are available and can only be granted for the following reasons:
- You need to obtain urgent medical care in the U.S.
- You need to accompany an immediate family member who requires urgent medical care (Immediate family members include mother, father, brother, sister, child, grandparent or grandchild.)
- An immediate family member in the U.S. has a serious medical condition and requires your presence urgently.
- You need to attend the funeral of an immediate family member.
- You need to attend an urgent and late-breaking business matter, where the need to travel to the U.S. could not have been foreseen.
Important information that you must read before submitting request:
- In order to initiate your request for an emergency appointment, you must have applied and paid for a regular appointment first.
- You may expect a reply to your request within two working days. Please do not send multiple identical requests.
- Expedited appointments are generally NOT granted and we will not reply to your request if your visa interview date is three (3) or more working days before your intended travel date. Expedited visa delivery services are available through the DHL counter at the Consulate for a fee of R288. If the visa is approved, you may pay the expedited delivery fee at the Consulate and expect delivery of your passport within 1-2 working days following the date of your visa interview.
- Once you obtain an emergency appointment, you are treated as a normal visa applicant; you must qualify for a U.S. visa in every respect.
- The visa application fee is nonrefundable.
- Non-immigrant visa appointments (including emergency appointments) are only available Monday – Thursday in the morning ONLY; there are no non-immigrant visa appointments on Fridays and no appointments in the afternoon. The Consulate is closed on weekends and U.S. and South African holidays.
How to submit your request:
In order, to request an expedited appointment you must schedule into the earliest available appointment at the Consular Section. Appointments are scheduled through the Visa Information Service Center https://ais.usvisa-info.com . After scheduling a regular appointment date, select the “Request Expedite” link on the “Application Summary Page” and follow the instructions.
Information that must be included in your request:
(1) Your destination in the U.S.
(2) The date you need to depart South Africa.
(3) The specific purpose of your travel.
(4) The date on which you first learned of the need to travel to the U.S.
(5) The date on which you first called the visa call center or went online to schedule your regular appointment.
(6) The appointment date you currently have (and please attach the confirmation sheet when you reply to this request).