June 28, 2017
The U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg would like to inform U.S. citizens of a protest march by the Greater Local Mining Communities Business Forum scheduled for today, June 28, 2017 in Sandton. The City of Johannesburg has issued a permit for 2,000 participants. Disruptions to motor vehicle traffic are expected in the vicinity of the demonstration.
According to the plan filed by the protest group:
- 9:00am – the protesters will assemble at George Lea Park;
- 10:00am – the protesters will march to the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) via the following route:
- Go east on Sandton Drive,
- Turn left onto Grayston Drive,
- Turn right onto 5th Street,
- Turn left onto Fredman Drive,
- Turn right onto Gwen Street
- The JSE is located at 2 Gwen Lane
- The protesters will then return to George Lea Park via the same route.
- The protest march is scheduled to be completed by 2:00pm.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.