Report a Lost or Stolen Passport

What to do:

  • Please notify the nearest South African Police station of the loss/theft.
  • Inform the U.S. Consulate of the loss/theft, Leave a message on our voice mail if necessary.

If you decide not to apply for a new passport immediately, you may report your lost or stolen passport by completing Form DS-64 (details about forms here) and mailing it to: U.S. Consulate, American Citizens Services.

To obtain a new passport, you must apply in person to the Nearest U.S. Consulate.

Note: An appointment is needed for this service.

You will need to:

  1. Complete Form DS-11, Application for Passport. Please note that some of the instructions apply only to U.S. citizens residing in the U.S.
  2. Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship
  3. Present Proof of Identity
  4. Provide one Passport Photo (Photos must be 2″x2″ in size with a background that is uniform, plain and white, and free of shadows).
  5. Pay the Applicable Fee
  6. Provide a Social Security Number
  7. Complete a Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport, DS-64.
  8. Present a South African Police Report regarding the passport loss.
  9. Provide a courier envelope for your passport to be mailed to you.
  10. Make an appointment.