What to do:
- Please notify the nearest South African Police station of the loss/theft.
- Inform the U.S. Consulate of the loss/theft, Leave a message on our voice mail if necessary.
If you decide not to apply for a new passport immediately, you may report your lost or stolen passport by completing Form DS-64 (details about forms here) and mailing it to: U.S. Consulate, American Citizens Services.
To obtain a new passport, you must apply in person to the Nearest U.S. Consulate.
Note: An appointment is needed for this service.
You will need to:
- Complete Form DS-11, Application for Passport. Please note that some of the instructions apply only to U.S. citizens residing in the U.S.
- Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Present Proof of Identity
- Provide one Passport Photo (Photos must be 2″x2″ in size with a background that is uniform, plain and white, and free of shadows).
- Pay the Applicable Fee
- Provide a Social Security Number
- Complete a Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport, DS-64.
- Present a South African Police Report regarding the passport loss.
- Provide a courier envelope for your passport to be mailed to you.
- Make an appointment.