Security Message for U.S. Citizens
U.S. Embassy Pretoria
September 13, 2017
The U.S. Mission informs U.S. citizens in South Africa that there have been violent altercations between drivers for Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), such as Uber and Taxify, and metered taxi drivers throughout South Africa, but primarily in the Gauteng Province.
In an effort to increase the safety and security of U.S. citizens who use TNC dispatch applications, you are encouraged to take these measures:
- If you’re using TNC applications, arrange pick up away from traditional taxi stands.
- Many venues are increasingly providing dedicated pick-up points for TNCs. Check with the venue management or security to see if there is a dedicated area prior to requesting a ride.
- Only use apps that provide the vehicle description, license plate number, and the driver’s name, picture, and user rating, and allow you to share your trip information.
- Verify the information provided by the TNC, such as the vehicle make/model, license plate number and driver’s name/picture prior to entering the vehicle.
In addition, the following measures are also recommended:
- Ride in the front passenger seat;
- Share your trip information with friends or family.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.