Security Alert: Ride Share Violence – September 19-22, 2023
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Event: The U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg has received unconfirmed reports of attacks on ride share company drivers (and passengers?) in Johannesburg and surrounding areas. The attacks coincide with a transit protest that is expected to end on Thursday. The Consulate has instructed employees to avoid using ride share companies until the completion of the transit protest.
The Consulate reminds all U.S. citizens to:
- Avoid demonstrations and use vigilance during your movements around the area. Even events intended to be peaceful can become violent.
- Maintain caution in areas frequented by foreigners.
- Monitor news and Alerts.
If you received this email, it means that you already enrolled in STEP. Please help us to spread this message and remind all U.S. citizens in South Africa to enroll in the program so that they too can receive the most up to date security and health information.
Benefits of Enrolling in STEP:
- Receive important information from the U.S. State Department about conditions in South Africa, helping you make informed decisions.
- Help the State Department contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
Did someone forward you this email? Enroll yourself in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive health and security updates and to ensure the State Department can locate you in an emergency. Want to unsubscribe? Click here.