Security Alert – U.S. Mission to South Africa (July 13, 2021)
Locations: Durban and Pietermaritzburg in KwaZulu-Natal Province; Johannesburg and Pretoria in Gauteng Province
Event: Civil unrest and protests continue throughout KwaZulu-Natal Province and Johannesburg and Pretoria in Gauteng Province. Following reports of blockages on many provincial and municipal transit routes, increased violence, vandalism, and criminal activity at commercial centers, and calls for calm by President Cyril Ramaphosa, the U.S. Mission to South Africa recommends avoiding all non-essential movement within affected areas. Exercise heightened caution in commercial areas where looting and violence can and has occurred suddenly. The situation throughout many areas of these provinces is unstable and authorities are not able to respond to all events.
The U.S. Consulate General Durban is available for emergency services only. The U.S. Consulates General in Johannesburg and Cape Town are operating as normal. Please see emergency contact information below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations, particularly in the Central Business Districts (CBD) of Durban, Pretoria, and Johannesburg (including Soweto and Alexandra, as well as the M2 highway, Berea, Jeppestown, Maboneng, and adjacent neighborhoods to the south and east of the Johannesburg CBD).
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services.)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600) OR Emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter