The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa informs U.S. citizens of demonstrations planned for Johannesburg, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth, and Cape Town on Wednesday, December 16, 2015, starting at 10:00 a.m. and ending at noon. The demonstrations are organized by a variety of local non-governmental organizations to protest corruption in government. Disruptions to motor vehicle traffic are expected in the vicinity of the demonstrations.
Johannesburg: Demonstrators will gather at 10:00 am at the Nelson Mandela Bridge. Demonstrators requested a permit for 2,000 participants.
Pretoria: Demonstrators will gather at 10:00 am at the corner of Francis Baard Street and Johan Street (Pretoria Art Museum) and the Union Buildings. No information about permits or the projected number of demonstrators is available at this time.
Port Elizabeth: Demonstrators will gather at 10:00 am at the corner of Holland Street and Govan Mbeki Avenue. No information about permits or the projected number of demonstrators is available at this time.
Cape Town: Demonstrators will gather at 10:00 a.m. at Parliament and the Company Gardens at 19 Queen Victoria Street. A permit has been issued by the City of Cape Town for 1,000 participants.
U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. For the latest information on the demonstrations, please consult the Corruption Watch website and Facebook page and monitor local media sources.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)