PEPFAR works through our South African partners and in collaboration with the Department of Health to prevent new HIV infections, link people living with HIV to lifesaving antiretroviral treatment, and ensure they can stay on treatment. Our activities are focused in 27 high-burden districts throughout South Africa.
PEPFAR provides the following services in South Africa:
- HIV counseling and testing
- Antiretroviral treatment (ART)
- Condom distribution & promotion
- Distribution & education about pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Empowering adolescent girls and young women through DREAMS
- Voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC)
- ART for pregnant women to reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission
- Support for orphans and vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS
- TB screening, preventive therapy, and treatment
- Health systems strengthening
- Community mobilization
All of PEPFAR’s activities in South Africa are aligned with the South Africa’s National Strategic Plan for HIV, TB, and STIs 2017-2022.