IRS Webinar on Data Theft Today, August 17 at 7:00 p.m. (CAT)
Messages for U.S. Citizens
August 17, 2016
The U.S. Diplomatic Mission in South Africa wishes to inform U.S. citizens that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will host a webinar on “Protect your clients and yourself from data theft” on Wednesday, August 17, 2016, from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDT (7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. CAT).
To register and attend this webinar, use the Protect your clients and yourself from data theft webinar link. Participants should log in 10 minutes prior to the start time. This session will be recorded and made available at a later time on IRSvideos.gov.
The webinar will cover:
- Security Summit initiatives for FY 2017, including enhancing tax professional awareness of client data safeguards;
- Increase awareness of legal requirements and best practices to better protect taxpayer information;
- Learn more about emerging scams from our Criminal Investigation expert;
- Outline steps tax professionals should take if they suffer a loss of taxpayer data; and
- A live Q and A with IRS subject matter experts.
For further information about traveling overseas:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for South Africa.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and U.S. Consulate Generals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban are located at the addresses below. The U.S. Embassy in Pretoria does not have a consular section and does not provide consular services to U.S. citizens.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.