Location: The Republic of South Africa
Event: A new variant of the COVID-19 virus, known as 501.V2, is driving infection rates in areas of South Africa. This discovery is gaining increased international attention and currently as many as 15 countries have banned flights and travelers who have spent time in The Republic of South Africa in the last 10 days.
Actions to Take:
- Travelers should consult with their airlines to inquire about potential flight cancellations and rerouting
- Check destination and transit countries’ rules and regulations regarding traveling from South Africa
- Exercise increased hygiene measures and social distancing in South Africa, especially in areas where COVID case numbers are increasing.
- Visit South Africa’s COVID information and resource portal, https://sacoronavirus.co.za, for additional information
- Monitor local and international media for continuing developments.