Health Alert: Upcoming Repatriation Flights – U.S. Embassy Pretoria, South Africa (August 5, 2020)
Location: South Africa
Event: The South African Ministry of Health has confirmed 521,318 cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
Announcing Additional Repatriation Flights:
We have been notified of multiple upcoming special commercial repatriation flights operated by different airlines. Some of the below flights have been included in previous announcements.
|7 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Dubai (DXB)||Emirates Airlines|
|8 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Amsterdam (AMS)||KLM|
|9 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|9 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|9 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Dubai (DXB)||Emirates Airlines|
|9 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Amsterdam (AMS)||KLM|
|10 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Doha (DOH)||Qatar Airways|
|11 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Dubai (DXB)||Emirates Airlines|
|12 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|14 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Dubai (DXB)||Emirates Airlines|
|14 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Doha (DOH)||Qatar Airways|
|14 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Frankfurt (FRA)||Lufthansa|
|15 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Amsterdam (AMS)||KLM|
|15 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Paris (CDG)||Air France|
|16 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Paris (CDG)||Air France|
|16 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|16 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|16 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Amsterdam (AMS)||KLM|
|19 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|21 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Doha (DOH)||Qatar Airways|
|23 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|23 Aug 2020||Cape Town (CPT)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|24 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Doha (DOH)||Qatar Airways|
|26 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
|30 Aug 2020||Johannesburg (JNB)||Addis Ababa (ADD)||Ethiopian Airlines|
*Please note the above flights and schedules represent the information provided to us as of August 4, 2020 and are subject to change.
Interested passengers must book their tickets directly with the airlines’ local ticket office or using the below contact information:
- Ethiopian Airlines by contacting: SouthAfricaSalesTeam@ethiopianairlines.com
- Lufthansa by contacting: Jnbmarketing@dlh.de
- Emirates must be booked directly with the Emirates Johannesburg office, by contacting email@example.com and completing a required booking form
- Turkish Airlines by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KLM by contacting:
- Website: You can book your ticket through KLM’s website www.klm.co.za by searching for a one-way trip and specific date. The calendar view will not display them. Please book only for the flights on these dates.
- Call centre: KLM sales and Service Centre can be contacted to book a flight, via phone: +27 (0)10 205 0100 or +27(0)10 205 0101, daily between 09:00 –16:00. Payment can only be made with credit card. If you have an existing booking with Air France or KLM you can use it to (partially) pay for this flight.
- Additional Information: During the booking process a link will be given to fill in a web form. You need to fill in the form for each passenger in your reservation. It is mandatory to fill in this web form. In case you missed the link in your booking process, you can find it here: https://www.klm.com/travel/za_en/customer_support/repatriation_flights.htm.
- Air France by contacting the same KLM information above.
- Qatar Airways: for reservations visit www.qatarairways.com/WeWillGetYouHome and use promo code PR_CR981 or call +27 11 267 7700.
- Passengers will be responsible for travel to their final destination in the United States from the arrival airport listed above.
- These flights are open to U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, and U.S. visa or valid ESTA holders who have received DHA approval to depart South Africa if required (Noting that most U.S. visa holders will not be allowed to transit the UK or EU).
- Passengers will be responsible for finding transportation to the required assembly point, which will be communicated by the airlines prior to the flight departure.
- Travel permission letters for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents are not required unless you will be crossing South African provinces to arrive at the assembly point. If and only if you must cross a provincial border to join this repatriation flight, please write SAEvacuation@state.gov requesting a travel letter. Include your name, passport or green card number, current address, and flight confirmation.
- For any questions regarding availability, cost, baggage allowance, or other flight details, please contact the airlines directly.
For South African Citizens wishing to travel to the United States for residence, work or study as allowed by the Government of South Africa:
DHA is not requiring individualized letters from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for South African citizens with valid U.S. visas or travel documents. Please contact your local DHA office with any additional information they require to issue permission to depart South Africa.
For individuals who hold valid U.S. visas:
Please remember that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has final authority regarding admissibility into the United States at the port of entry. You must have a valid visa for your purpose of travel. The Embassy does not provide additional documentation related to your admissibility into the United States. Moreover, holders of U.S. visas must ensure their travel route does not transit one of the countries subject to travel restrictions under the Presidential Proclamation found here (including much of Europe, the UK and Brazil). You may contact the CBP website or hotline if you have further questions about admissibility.
Can visa holders who already have a valid H-1B, H-2B, L, or J nonimmigrant visa (or their family members who hold visas in a derivative visa category) still enter the U.S.?
This Presidential Proclamation is not retroactive. No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation. For questions regarding entry into the United States, we refer you to the Department of Homeland Security.
U.S. Mission Repatriation Efforts
If you would like to depart South Africa, we highly recommend you avail yourself of any available opportunity, even if it is not your desired flight route. We cannot guarantee frequency of special repatriation, nor can we guarantee that previously scheduled commercial flights will depart as planned. We do not have further information about when regular international commercial flights will resume.
To date, over 60 repatriation flights have departed to the United States in coordination with airlines and friendly mission partners since the government lockdown, returning thousands of U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and visa holders to the United States. For questions about other potential upcoming repatriation opportunities, please contact the airlines directly for details.
Please see all past alerts at the U.S. Embassy website: https://za.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information//.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for South Africa.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa’s speeches on the lockdown
- Statement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on measures to combat COVID-19 epidemic
- COVID-19 information page on National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- Department of Home Affairs page for latest information on travel requirements for South Africa
- COVID-19 Corona Virus: South African Resource Portal
- COVID-19 information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page
Operating Status: Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Consulates General Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban have suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websites for additional information.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)