Health Alert: May 9 South African Airways Flight Details – U.S. Embassy Pretoria, South Africa (May 6, 2020)
Location: South Africa
Event: The South African Ministry of Health confirmed 7,572 cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
Please read the following information carefully. Due to the high volume of enquiries we are currently receiving, we will not be able to respond to individual emails if your question is answered in this alert.
South African Airways Flight
We have received confirmation of a South African Airways (SAA) flight to Washington Dulles International Airport, United States, on May 9.
- The flight will depart Cape Town, pick up additional passengers in Johannesburg, and then proceed to Washington, D.C., arriving on May 10. Passengers are responsible for arranging onward travel from Washington, D.C., to their final destination in the United States.
- Both U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents are eligible for this flight.
- Seats will be sold on a first come, first serve basis in two phases. To express interest in these flights please go to this SAA link and submit the required information.
- For price details, baggage allowances, and other specific questions, please contact South African Airways directly.
- You will be notified in future communications regarding whether you need a travel permission letter to travel to the assembly point.
You must book your ticket directly with SAA and then complete this information request form. (If you filled out the form on or after April 29, you do not need to resubmit it.) If you have trouble filling out the Microsoft form, please ask a family member or friend for assistance.
Like other repatriation flights, all passengers will be required to meet at a designated staging point. SAA will provide the details of your assembly point upon completion of booking. Passengers are responsible for arranging their own transportation to the assembly point.
All U.S. government-coordinated repatriation flights have departed. We cannot confirm when or if other future options may arise.
Please see all past alerts at the U.S. Embassy website: https://za.usembassy.gov/category/alert/
If you are a U.S. citizen in South Africa and your visa is expiring, please visit the South African Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website for information on extending your visa. We are unable to extend your visa or contact DHA on your behalf.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for South Africa.
- View U.S. Embassy Pretoria’s most recent alerts.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa: Extension of Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown to the end of April
- Announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa of 21 day lock-down (Mar 23, 2020)
- Statement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on measures to combat COVID-19 epidemic
- COVID-19 information page on National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- Department of Home Affairs pagefor latest information on travel requirements for South Africa
- COVID-19 Corona Virus: South African Resource Portal
- COVID-19 information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.govCountry Information and Travel Advisory page
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
Operating Status: Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Consulates General Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban have suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websites for additional information.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services.)
877 Pretorius Street, Arcadia, Pretoria
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue, Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
South Africa Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter