Health Alert: Announcing Repatriation Flights to the United States – U.S. Embassy Pretoria, South Africa (May 3, 2020)
Location: South Africa
Event: The South African Ministry of Health confirmed 6,783 cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
We have been notified of a likely commercial flight to the United States to be operated by South African Airways, tentatively scheduled for May 7th. The flight will operate from Johannesburg and is eligible for both U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents. We have no additional details at this time but will forward details as soon as they become available.
We have also gotten further clarifying information from Qatar Airways regarding the repatriation flights about which we have previously sent notices.
First, there will be six flights on offer with the following schedules from Johannesburg to Doha:
From Doha, Qatar Airways is operating non-stop flights to Chicago and Dallas in the United States. Flights to both Chicago and Dallas are scheduled to operate on May 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, and 17.
We have also been informed by Qatar Airways that these flights will only be available to U.S. citizen passport holders. Unfortunately, Legal Permanent Residents and other visa holders will not be allowed to participate in these flights.
Lana J Marks
US Ambassador to South Africa
- View U.S. Embassy Pretoria’s most recent alerts.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa: Extension of Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown to the end of April
- Announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa of 21 day lock-down (Mar 23, 2020)
- Statement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on measures to combat COVID-19 epidemic
- COVID-19 information page on National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- Department of Home Affairs page for latest information on travel requirements for South Africa
- COVID-19 Corona Virus: South African Resource Portal
- COVID-19 information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
Operating Status: Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Consulates General Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban have suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websites for additional information.
United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services.)
877 Pretorius Street, Arcadia, Pretoria
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue, Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
State Department – Consular Affairs