Health Alert: Qatar Airways Flights Canceled – U.S. Embassy Pretoria, South Africa (May 6, 2020)
Location: South Africa
Event: The South African Ministry of Health confirmed 7,572 cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
Qatar Airways Flights
We have received notification from Qatar Airways that all flights scheduled for May 7 and beyond have been canceled. If you have already booked a seat with Qatar Airways, please contact the airline for a refund. We have no further information on whether other repatriation flights from Qatar will be available in the future.
South African Airways Flight
For information on the May 9 South African Airways flight, please see our alert here. Many have reached out to us regarding technical difficulties in registering information on the SAA site. SAA has assured us that the site is up and functioning, however, they are experiencing significantly higher than expected demand. The Embassy has no way to register your interest with SAA. Please continue to work through the SAA portal to register interest for the flight. Registration of interest on the SAA website is in no way a guarantee of a seat on the flight. SAA will offer seats for sale on the flights on a first-come-first-served basis after the Embassy and DIRCO confirm that travelers that registered interest through their site are eligible to travel. SAA will present the Embassy and DIRCO a consolidated list after their registration portal closes and the Embassy will verify and return the consolidated list to SAA
All U.S. government-coordinated repatriation flights have departed. We cannot confirm when or if other future options may arise.
Please see all past alerts at the U.S. Embassy website: https://za.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information//.
If you are a U.S. citizen in South Africa and your visa is expiring, please visit the South African Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website for information on extending your visa. We are unable to extend your visa or contact DHA on your behalf.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for South Africa.
- View U.S. Embassy Pretoria’s most recent alerts.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa: Extension of Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown to the end of April
- Announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa of 21 day lock-down (Mar 23, 2020)
- Statement by President Cyril Ramaphosa on measures to combat COVID-19 epidemic
- COVID-19 information page on National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- Department of Home Affairs pagefor latest information on travel requirements for South Africa
- COVID-19 Corona Virus: South African Resource Portal
- COVID-19 information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.govCountry Information and Travel Advisory page
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
Operating Status: Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Consulates General Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban have suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our websites for additional information.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter