Applications for 2024-2025 Now OPEN!
The Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program (SARSP) is an opportunity for South African university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in their field of expertise at a U.S. academic or research Institution for a period of 3 to 9 months. A research grant enables the scholar to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at his/her home institution. Applicants need to have a proven track record of productive scholarly research, and publications. Research programs should commence between August 1, 2024 and March 31, 2025; and be complete no later than December 31, 2025.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate or equivalent terminal degree in their fields at the time of application. Preference will be given to individuals who have a minimum of 3 years of university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual S.A./U.S. citizenship are not eligible for the program).
- The Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program (SARSP) is open to scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age; however, proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright scholar grant.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had no experience or only limited experience in the U.S.
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in English to carry out their projects and collaborate effectively with colleagues. TOEFL exams are not required. However, the U.S. Embassy reserves the right to administer an English language test, if necessary, to evaluate applicants’ language skills.
- Applicants must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Scholars who were unsuccessful in previous competitions may re-apply. Repeat applicants should submit their application for the 2024-2025 opportunity, revise their proposals, update curriculum vitae, and obtain current letters of reference/invitation.
How to apply
Apply through the online application system by completing the required information and uploading all required supporting documents. Application components:
- Include a well written research proposal with well explained methodology that can be understood by a general reviewing committee.
- Include three confidential letters of reference. These letters must be uploaded by your referees through the online application system. Guidelines on how to register your referees are included in the country information section of the application. We will not accept any letters of reference via email or post.
- A Letter of Invitation from a U.S. host institution is strongly encouraged and preferred, but not required.
Applicants are discouraged from requesting affiliation with an alma mater. The Fulbright Program will honor institutional affiliation preferences as far as possible. Applicants unfamiliar with U.S. institutions may request that the Fulbright Program identifies a suitable host institution. Applicants should note that laboratory fees are not part of the standard benefits package for the Fulbright SARSP and are awarded on a limited, case-by-case basis, and only if funding is available.
Apply here: https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2024
Research Grant Coverage
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site.
- Monthly dependent allowance for full-time accompanying dependents.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee.
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight- to nine-month grant. Dependent travel expenses are not covered on grants of 3-7 months.
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars.
- Settling-in allowance.
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee.
- Visa application fee
Closing date for applications: August 31, 2023.
Contact the Fulbright Office with questions not answered online: firstname.lastname@example.org.