The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Mission to South Africa from time to time offers funding opportunities for projects that support the promotion of increased understanding of U.S. values, perspectives and policies, and relationship building between Americans and South Africans.
Open for Application
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO): Public Diplomacy Small Grants Program: Annual Program Statement 2022
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO): Public Diplomacy Large Grants Program: Call for Proposals that Strengthen Ties between the U.S. and South Africa
Tips and ‘Tricks’
SAM.gov is a free government-managed website; applicants do not need to pay to have their organization registered. Our grants office in Washington receives frequent reports that recipients are contacted by organizations posing as SAM.gov and threatening to cut off registration unless a fee is paid for registration or renewal. These emails are not coming from SAM.gov and should be reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
Branding and Marking
Projects that we fund must be marked with the standard U.S. flag in a size and prominence equal to (or greater than) any other logo or identity. Download a jpeg of the flag here (432 KB) » .
Official Grant Forms
You don’t like the “Standard Forms” (SF-424, SF-270, etc.), we don’t like them, but they are mandatory.
“I can’t find the form I need on grants.gov.”
Solution: send a message to PretoriaGrants@state.gov and we will email the form to you.
“I can’t open the form!”
Don’t open the form in your browser (Chrome, etc.). Instead, go the folder where you saved the form, and open it with Adobe Reader (available here for free).
“Okay, I did that, but now it says, ‘Please wait …’ and nothing happens.”
Solution: click on the yellow “Enable all features” button (you might have to click more than once).
“’Fill and Sign’ doesn’t work with the form.”
Solution: Complete the form, then print it to PDF. This will generate a version of the form that is compatible with the Fill and Sign tool. If you cannot print to PDF, email the completed form to PretoriaGrants@state.gov and we will email you a version that you can sign.
- Application for Federal Assistance SF-424 guide: download here (note: 30 MB file size) »
- Request for Advance / Reimbursement SF-270 guide: download here (911 KB) »
- Federal Financial Report SF-425 guide: download here (761 KB) »
- Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation: Call for concept notes/proposals: download here (MSWord 46KB) »