Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders are five-to-six-week academic programs designed for South African undergraduate students between the ages of 18 and 25 to improve their understanding of the United States and to develop their leadership skills. Institutes include a four-week academic residency consisting of interactive classroom activities, discussions, lectures, readings, site visits, and workshops; a one week educational study tour to a different region of the United States; leadership skills building activities; community service; and opportunities to interact with their American peers on a college campus. Programs usually take place during January/February each year depending on funding availability.
Apply between September and October.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25 and have at least one semester left of college or university
- Demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English
- Have little or no prior travel or study experience in the United States
- Not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa
More Information: Pretoria_Susi-DL@state.gov