The Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Secondary Educators are intensive postgraduate level academic programs with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide South African secondary school educators and administrators the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions. The ultimate goal of the Institutes is to strengthen curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in secondary schools and other academic institutions in South Africa. SUSIs usually take place during June/July depending on funding availability. Apply November – January.
- Secondary school teachers and administrators in mid-career positions (between 30-50 years of age)
- Committed to introduce or enhance aspects of U.S. studies into their institutions curriculum or to offer specialized seminars/workshop for education professionals in U.S. studies or related fields in South Africa
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English
- Have little or no prior travel or study experience in the United States
- Citizen of South Africa and not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States
More Information: Pretoria_Susi-DL@state.gov