An official website of the United States government

Diplomats, Government Representatives, Embassy Personnel, NATO Personnel
March 28, 2021

Diplomatic (A), International Organization (G) and NATO visas are issued to diplomats and other government officials for travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements that must be met by applicants to qualify for an A, G, or NATO visa, under U.S. immigration law.

Most diplomatic passport holders and people applying for official visas are exempt from the MRV fee. Applicants applying for these visa categories should NOT USE THIS VISA INFORMATION SERVICE CENTER because the MRV fee is nonrefundable, even if paid in error.

Provincial and municipal officials do not qualify for A or G visas, but may qualify for a diplomatic type visitor’s visa (B1/B2) if they possess a diplomatic passport.

For the most up-to-date information, South African government officials should consult with the Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s protocol directorate at +27 12 351 0812.

For additional information on Diplomatic and Official visas visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/visas-diplomats.html.

For additional information on NATO visas visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/other-visa-categories/visa-employees-nato.html.

Diplomats, government representatives, Embassy personnel, IO and NATO personnel must submit their applications directly to the nearest U.S. Consulate during protocol hours.  Please contact the relevant Consulate for their protocol hours.

To receive specific information on how to initiate this process, please contact the Consular Section where the traveler plans to apply at: