Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Pretoria, South Africa (March 6, 2018)
Location: Multiple locations in Pretoria
Event: Tshwane Metro Police Department (TMPD) announced multiple marches scheduled to take place in Pretoria today, March 6, 2018 from 9am – 3:00pm.
The Food and Allied Workers Union (FAWU) and the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) were granted permission to march in the Brooklyn area. The number of marchers/protestors is expected to be at least 1,500. The FAWU and SAFTU members are protesting trade policies. They will march from Florence Ribeiro Avenue and Middel Street, down Bronkhorst Street to the South African Revenue Service (SARS) office in Brooklyn.
The Democratic Alliance (DA) was granted permission to march in the Central Business District from the old Putco Depot on the corner of Struben and Es’Kia Mphahlele to the Treasury. The DA is protesting the VAT increase.
A group of security guards plan to march from Princess Park to Tshwane South College, the Department of Higher Education, the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority, the Tshwane House, and the Union Buildings. The group is protesting labor conditions.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter