Demonstration Alert – U. S. Consulate General Johannesburg (October 7, 2020)
Location: From Consulate General of Nigeria to U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg
Event: The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa informs U.S. citizens of a planned protest at the Nigerian Consulate on Thursday, October 8, 2020 between approximately 9:00 A.M and 1:00 P.M., with a potential stop at the U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg. At this time, the consular section does not anticipate any changes to its operating status. The consular section is currently closed for routine services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitte