Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg (May 20, 2021)
Location: U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg, 1 Sandton Drive
Event: The City of Johannesburg has approved a mass picket outside the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Friday, May 21, 2021.
Johannesburg consular patrons with citizen services appointments on Friday, May 20 will need to use the Main Entrance rather than the usual consular entrance. Guards will be standing by to assist. Traffic in the area may be heavier than normal.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter