Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg (May 17, 2021)
Location: Bloemfontein, Free State Province, South Africa
Event: Public demonstrations in Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality (Bloemfontein) in the Free State province have disrupted public transportation and other government services today, May 17, 2021. South African media reports that these protests have already seen violence occur with the potential for additional violence as the demonstrations continue into tomorrow.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Motorists and residents should remain vigilant.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter