The U.S. Consulate in Cape Town, South Africa opened its new, state-of-the-art American Corner to the public on November 16. Located inside the Central Library in the Central Business District, the new American Corner has been renovated to the tune of 3,5 million ZAR ($250,000 USD) and includes a coffee bar, high-speed Wifi, iPad bar, laptop bank with Chromebooks and Macbooks, Makerspace studio, sound recording studio, and video production equipment (iMac editing suite, broadcast quality cameras, and green screen technology) — all of which are available for use by the public.
The space is now open to the public Monday – Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and Saturdays from 9 am to 4 pm.
U.S. Consulate Cape Town is partnering with a number of local non-profit organizations to offer the following programs at the American Corner:
- Live and virtual speaker programs featuring U.S. experts discussing topics such as climate change, entrepreneurship and social entrepreneurship, heritage preservation as a driver of economic growth, LGBT and gender-based issues, studying abroad in the US, and regular roundtables with journalists
- Networking and arts events for professionals
- Young African Leadership Initiative Network events and Mandela Washington Fellowship alumni support
- Coding workshops
- Makerspace workshops
- Workshops for alternative energy innovation which make use of mini solar power engineering kits
- Facilitated MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) on a range of topics such as “entrepreneurship in developing economies” and “shaping the way we teach English”
- A series of journalism workshops, focusing on gender identity issues
- Social media workshops providing startups and individuals with the tools they need for 21stCentury online marketing
- Employment readiness workshops and CV-writing seminars
- E-Library USA Database, providing access to U.S. academic resourcesonline
- English language learning and conversation classes.
Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ACCape) or Twitter (@usconscapetown) to stay abreast of upcoming events.