Alert – U. S. Consulate General Cape Town, South Africa (February 9, 2018) – Cape Town Water Crisis
Location: Cape Town Municipal Region, Western Cape, South Africa
Event: Western Cape Province is experiencing a serious drought with reported shortages in the municipal water supply in Cape Town. As of February 1, the City of Cape Town has restricted household water use to 50 liters per person per day. “Day Zero,” the day when municipal water will no longer be piped to most households and businesses, is subject to change based on a number of factors.
Actions to Take:
- Conserve water and follow local guidance on water use for tourists and Save Like a Local.
- Check the City of Cape Town website for up-to-date information and guidance on how to manage water consumption.
- Monitor water levels at the City of Cape Town’s Water Dashboard.
- Review the City’s Water Shortages Disaster Plan, and plan how you will acquire sufficient water for your family.
- Check your passport and other required travel documents, such as unabridged birth certificates for children. If your passport expires in the next six months, please schedule an appointment to get a new one at the S. Consulate in Cape Town.
- Review your personal security plans.
- United States Embassy to the Republic of South Africa
(Note: The Embassy does not provide consular services)
877 Pretorius Street
Tel: 012-431-4000 (outside South Africa: +27-12-431-4000)
- United States Consulate General, Johannesburg
(Covering Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North West, and Free State provinces)
1 Sandton Drive (corner of Rivonia and Sandton Drive)
Tel: 011-290-3000 (outside South Africa: +27-11-290-3000)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1684 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-1684)
- United States Consulate General, Durban
(Covering KwaZulu-Natal Province)
Delta Towers, 31st floor
303 Dr. Pixley KaSeme Street
Tel: 031-305-7600 (outside South Africa +27-31-305-7600)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-1445 (outside South Africa +27-79-111-1445)
- United States Consulate General, Cape Town
(Covering Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and Northern Cape provinces)
2 Reddam Avenue
Tokai, Cape Town
Tel: 021-702-7300 (outside South Africa: +27 21-702-7300)
After-hours emergencies: 079-111-0391 (outside South Africa: +27-79-111-0391)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- South Africa Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter