|Funding Opportunity Title||2021 South Africa Mandela Washington Fellow Program Logistics|
|Funding Opportunity Number||DOS-PTA-202102|
|Announcement Type||Cooperative Agreement|
|CFDA Number||19.022 ECA Overseas Grants|
|Award Amount||Up to $30,000|
|Deadline for applications||February 15, 2021|
The U.S. Embassy South Africa Public Affairs Section, U.S. Department of State (PAS) is pleased to announce a call for proposals for the following project:
The grantee will work cooperatively with the Public Affairs Sections in Pretoria, Durban, Cape Town, and Johannesburg to manage the logistics for participants in the 2021 Mandela Washington Fellows (MWF) Program. MWF started in 2014 as a flagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) that empowers young people through academic coursework, leadership training, and networking. The Fellowship provides 700 young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to hone their skills at a U.S. college or university with support for professional development after they have returned home. The grantee will facilitate the following:
- Travel logistics and other related expenses for approximately 46 South African students including domestic travel related to a pre-departure orientation.
- Logistics and related expenses for a three-day pre-departure orientation (PDO) in Gauteng including venue selection and payment, small gift bags, and overnight accommodation and meals for participants. Costs should include transport to and from the Consulate in Johannesburg for visa interviews.
- Domestic logistics and related expenses for 46 students to travel to the U.S. including travel allowance, transportation from home city to departure city, and hotel and meals in departure city if needed. (NOTE: U.S. cooperating agencies will arrange for participants’ round-trip international air travel so no travel expenses for international flight need to be included.)
- Domestic logistics and related expenses for 46 students to travel back from the U.S. following the program, including travel allowance, transportation from home city to departure city, and hotel and meals in departure city if needed
- A $200 travel allowance per fellow to be issued prior to international travel.
Applications should be submitted by email to PretoriaGrants@state.gov. Please read the full notice before submitting an application.
Q & A
Q. Please can you give an approximate indication of the departure and return date range of the scholars travelling to the US under this program?
A. We expect the PDO to take place in May, 2021, with scholars departing in late June or early July.
Q. What kind of support services are needed while the scholars are away?
A. There is no support needed while the fellows are in the U.S., but support will be necessary to ensure the fellows have arrangements to travel to their respective homes following the program’s conclusion in early August.